When someone says Philadelphia and food, what do you think of? It’s got be cheese steak! But Philadelphia has more to offer than just philly cheese steak.
Philadelphia is a well-known restaurant destination with a range of food to suit all palettes. Here’s a taster for you:
Reading Terminal Market- If you only have a short amount of time then head over to Reading Terminal Market, the largest and oldest market in the US! The Market offers an incredible selection of locally grown & exotic produce, locally sourced meats and poultry, plus the finest seafood, cheeses, baked goods, and confections. You can wander around at your leisure or take a guided tour to learn more about the history of the market and what delicacies they have to offer.
If you want to try a Philadelphia cheese steak there are many restaurants to choose from, but if you want to try the best cheese steak, then head over to John’s Roast Pork . Opened in 1930, John’s is recognised as one of the best purveyors of cheesesteaks in the city.
If it's pizza you crave then head over to Tacconell's Pizzeria. Voted one of the best pizzerias in the country by Food & Wine (2017). The restaurant was opened in 1918 by Giovanni Tacconelli. Giovanni was a baker back in Italy and after a few years in Philly decided to go back to his trade. The restaurant was forced to close during World War two and re-opened in 1946 as a pizzeria. The Tacconelli family, now in its 5th generation, is still baking tomato pies the Giovanni Tacconelli way.
If you follow ICS on social media then you’ll know we love cake. So you’ll find us at Harry the K's trying out their 5-layer chocolate cake. It’s made fresh in house every day. Washed down with one of their gourmet milkshakes — the flavour changes every night!
If you prefer fine dining then you will be spoilt for choice. Philadelphia offers a range of restaurants to choose from depending upon the cuisine and ambiance you desire. Our top pick is Volvér. The restaurant received Five-Stars from Forbes Travel Guide, 2018. Volvér serves a 10-course seasonal tasting menu with optional wine pairings, of course. The menus span the world while also showcasing regional specialties, including locally raised meat, poultry and seafood.
These are only a few, of many amazing places to try. One thing is for sure, you definitely won’t go hungry in Philadelphia!
Other options include:
• Max Brenner’s- If you can’t decide between a pizza or pudding then head over to Max Brenner’s for their amazing chocolate pizza.
• Vedge- One of Philadelphia’s best restaurants and also one of the country’s best vegan restaurants.
• Schlessinger's Delicatessen-A traditional deli offering oversized sandwiches, smoked fishes, massive desserts and traditional deli sides such as knishes, kugels, and potato pancakes. Schlesinger's is reminiscent of the country's original delis.
• Saad's Halal Restaurant-Offering a range of Middle Eastern & American dishes.
• The Twisted Tail- Located in Philadelphia’s historic Society Hill, The Twisted Tail offers an eclectic mix of American Whiskey and gastronomic offerings from our Charcoal Grill. Including gluten free options!
Reading Terminal Market
John’s Roast Pork
Saad's Halal Restaurant
The Twisted Tail