The Standardisation Steering Committee (SSC) establishes terminology and methodology in the International Continence Society’s areas of activity, to underpin professional standards of clinical management and research.
The value of the SSC is in promoting best standards when clinicians and allied professionals communicate with patients and colleagues, undertake diagnostic tests, proceed to therapeutic interventions and undertake research. Precise use of agreed terminology ensures clear understanding for collaborating centres and readers of publications. Adherence to the diagnostic testing standards gives patients and clinical colleagues confidence that conclusions on which important therapeutic decisions are based are reliable. Development of future insights into mechanisms and treatments of the disease areas relevant to the ICS is enhanced where research studies employ internationally-standardised approaches.
ICS Terminology Glossary
Core Terminology reports are now integrated within the new ICS heirarchical terminology database giving instant access to all ICS terms and definitions: Explore the Terminology Glossary Database
Current ICS Reports
ICS Terminology Wiki
To make it easier to find the important information produced by the SSC, a one-stop resource is under development which includes all the reports, the key definitions and additional material: Access the ICS Wiki
Active ICS Working Groups
The following ICS working groups are currently active:
* Chronic Pelvic pain - due 2015
* Neurourology - due 2015
* IUGA - ICS Joint Working Group on Conservative Management - due 2016
* IUGA - ICS Joint Working Group on Female ano-rectal function - due 2016
* IUGA - ICS Joint Working Group on Female Pelvic Organ Prolapse - due 2016
* IUGA - ICS Joint Working Group on Sexual Health - due 2016
* Good Urodynamics Practice Review - due 2016
* Basic Science - due 2016
* ICS-ICCS Joint Working Group on Nocturia and Nocturnal enuresis - due 2016
Working Groups Starting soon:
- Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms
- Detrusor Underactivity/Voiding Dysfunction.
- IUGA-ICS Terminology for Imaging in Women with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction.
- Standardisation of Terminology for Incontinence Products; working group of the International Continence Society (ICS).
- Standardisation of Terminology of Lower Urinary Tract Function; working group of the International Continence Society (ICS) and collaborating professional societies to revise the ICS Standard.
- Working to develop and support a programme of development of professional Standardisation documents relating to terminology, diagnostics, clinical management and research in the areas of activity of the ICS
- Undertaking timely revision of Standardisation documents to ensure they retain contemporaneous relevance, assimilating feedback from all stakeholders
- Promoting adherence to Standardisation document recommendations in professional practice of all clinicians and allied professionals working in ICS areas of activity
- Providing regular information on SSC activity to the ICS membership
- Supporting infrastructure for reciprocal and responsive dialogue between the SSC and the ICS membership
- Developing and maintaining a high-quality SSC microsite on the ICSOffice.org website
- Providing advice to the ICS Trustees in relation to policy issues that relate to the SSC activities
- Developing effective working relationships with other ICS Committees and allied organisations outside the ICS
See the SSC’s terms of reference
Methodology of ICS Report Development
For the ever-changing context of modern-day medicine, the revision and initiation of reports is the responsibility of specially-convened Working Groups.
If you wish to propose development of a future report or wish to express your interest in joining a working group, please email Jenny at the ICS Office who will forward it to the Chairperson of the SSC.
For more information see this detailed review of the standardisation report process
The following external sites may be of interest. The ICS is not responsible for the content of external sites.