I trained as a nurse the Middlesex Hospital, London, before specialising in the field of Older People and gaining an interest in Continence Care, under the tutelage of Mandy Wells and James Malone Lee. I have worked as a Continence Nurse Specialist for nearly 30 years in a variety of roles.
This has included
- A project in the East End of London looking at the continence needs of the Bangladeshi Community,
- Continence Service in Tower Hamlets
- The Association for Continence Advice – Development Manager providing clinical expertise to the office.
- Whittington Hospital London, a split post Urogynaecology Nurse Specialist and Research Nurse (use of intra-vesical atropine in patients with MS)
- Peterborough City Hospital as a Urogynaecology nurse specialist and also as the Continence Nurse Specialist for the whole hospital – concentrating on catheter associated urinary tract infections.
- One year secondment to Peterborough Community Continence Service as the independent prescriber for a pilot project looking at the prescribing continence equipment by specialist nurses instead of the GP.
- Managed the Adult Integrated Continence Service for patients of the London boroughs of City and Hackney.
- Lead Urogynaecology Nurse Specialist - Northampton General Hospital
I have completed my MSc in Advanced Practice in Health and Social Care, which included becoming an independent prescriber and a dissertation looking at the patient’s perception of bladder emptying.
I have served as an ACA regional organiser and executive committee member; a committee member of the Urogynaecology Nurse Specialist Network. I have served on the ICS Nursing Committee and Communications and Publications committee and I'm currently co-opted to the Ethics Committee.